St Mary’s and Hightown fire crews called following reports of smoke emanating from a derelict building on Portsmouth Road at 6.50am this morning.
The fire was tackled by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, using hose reels and jets.
The aerial ladder was also in operation, as police were requested for traffic management.
After entry was gained into the boarded-up building, firefighters found a small fire smouldering in the basement.
Crews used ventilation fans to clear smoke before the stop message came in at 09:08.