Section 34 dispersal order issued again Sedgley Close, Portsmouth

sec-34-sedgley-close.jpg

You may remember a couple of days ago we posted about a Section 34 dispersal order the police had issued in Sedgley Close as part of their ongoing work to tackle anti-social behaviour in the area.

We just wanted to update you that police have put another Section 34 dispersal order will be in place in the area pictured from 6pm this evening (Friday 17 September) until 5.59pm on Sunday 19 September.

Police are using the dispersal tool as a means to deal with the rise in ASB, whilst supporting the local residents in line with our commitment to keeping our communities safe.

While police teams have been conducting extra patrols in the area, they are now also making use of another Section 34 dispersal order as a means to deal with the rise in ASB.

The order covers an area that includes Sedgley Close and the Somers Town adventure play area, including the basketball courts, children’s play area, green spaces and surrounding footpaths.

The dispersal order gives police officers the power to order a person to leave the area for a 48 hour period with no return. Refusal to comply with the order is a criminal offence.

Those under 16 will be taken be to their home address, and follow-up work will be done with parents.

Police know how much anti-social behaviour can negatively impact people’s lives and this is simply not acceptable for the residents of Sedgley Close and its surroundings.

While police have ensured that we have extended their patrols in the area, they also feel that making use of these powers to disperse groups of people will help them further to tackle this issue.

Officers are working hard to resolve these issues for local residents and would ask that they come and speak to patrolling officers with concerns or call police on 101.

Anyone who witnesses anti-social behaviour should call 101 or report it online at www.hampshire.police.uk. If a crime is in progress, always call 999.

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.