Screenshot_20240922_101902_Gallery

Two people have been arrested and three vehicles seized as part of our ongoing investigation into a car meet on Saturday night (September 21).

The meet began at Winchester Park and Ride, before moving on to Southampton, Eastleigh, Chandler’s Ford, Fareham and finally gathering at Southsea seafront shortly after midnight.

As part of an ongoing investigation, police have been reviewing footage from a number of sources to identify those involved and any offences committed.This has led to three vehicles – a BMW M3, a Ford Fiesta and Volkswagen Golf – being seized in order to facilitate further enquiries.

On the day, police arrested a 19-year-old man from Swanmore on suspicion of drug driving, after his vehicle was stopped in Fareham just after 10pm. He has been released under investigation.

A second man, aged 18 and from Tadley, has also now been arrested on suspicion of driving a vehicle dangerously in Southampton, after it was alleged he was seen driving whilst people were hanging out of the windows of his car. He has been released on bail.

Chief Superintendent Darren O’Callaghan said: “We were contacted by many local residents in the areas this meet passed through, who were extremely concerned about the manner in which vehicles were being driven.

“This kind of anti-social behaviour and reckless driving has a considerable impact on our communities and it will not be tolerated.

“Our roads policing and investigations teams are working hard to collect and review all available footage, including CCTV, drone footage and body worn video from our officers who attended, to identify those involved and any offences they may have committed, in order for us to take the appropriate action.

“This is not about penalising respectful car enthusiasts, who do not wish to cause a disturbance and simply want to share their passion for cars, but it is about identifying those who engage in dangerous and anti-social acts and dealing with them.

“We are also continuing to work to build up our intelligence on when and where these meets are due to take place, to ensure we can have the right officers and capabilities on hand to deal with them swiftly and robustly.

“As part of our ongoing investigation, we continue to appeal for anyone with information or any video footage to get in touch.

You can do this either by calling 101, or online, and quoting the reference 44240406801.

You can also report incidents of dangerous or anti-social driving through Hants SNAP, which is a police initiative aimed at dealing with alleged road traffic offences.

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.