Bus driver banned from driving after being caught three times the legal alcohol limit

Southampton-Magistrates-Court-1-990x743.jpg

A drink driver who was stopped by police on his way to drive a school bus has been banned from driving for two years

 

Nelam Singh, 53, of Exeter Road, Southsea, was driving his Mercedes on the M27 westbound near Nursling around 6.30am on Thursday 17 February, when he was spotted weaving erratically by an off-duty police officer.

 

Southampton Magistrates’ Court heard Singh blew recording of 101micrograms of alcohol per 100ml of breath – almost three times the legal limit.

 

When officers spoke with him, it was discovered he had been on his way to drive a school bus with more than 70 students on board.

 

At court on Tuesday, he was banned from driving for two years, ordered to complete 150 hours unpaid work and pay £180 in costs and a surcharge.

 

Speaking after the sentencing, Sgt Richard Miell, of the Roads Policing Unit, said: “Not only did Singh put himself and other road users in danger by choosing to get behind the wheel of a car while impaired.

 

“He was also going to endanger the lives of a large number of school children and drive a bus, all while under the influence.

 

“Thankfully, the quick actions of one of our off-duty roads policing officers ensured this did not happen.

 

“While the vast majority of drivers do not drink and drive, it is disappointing that some still are doing so. The message is simple, it’s not worth the risk and can have very real and fatal consequences.”

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.