Man, 28, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Basingstoke

handcuffs3_113.jpg

A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following an incident in Butler Close, Basingstoke, this morning

 

Officers were called at 6.34am today to an address and found a woman in her 20s with non-life threatening injuries.

 

She has been taken to Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital where she is receiving treatment for injuries to her shoulder and hand. The woman is receiving support from specialist officers.

 

Two children were also inside the address but they were not injured.

 

The property had been set on fire but this has since been put out.

 

One officer sustained an injury to his hand and several others are being treated for smoke inhalation. They are receiving treatment and support.

 

A 28-year-old man from Basingstoke was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder and arson with intent to endanger life. He has been taken to Southampton General Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

 

Officers have now launched an attempted murder investigation and enquiries are ongoing.

 

Chief Inspector Scott Johnson, District Commander for Basingstoke, said: “I understand that this incident will cause a level of concern in the community.

 

“The victim and our officers are receiving treatment and support following this morning’s incident and we believe there is no wider risk to the public at this time.

 

“The Basingstoke Neighbourhood Policing Team will be conducting patrols around the area throughout the day, so feel free to come and talk to us.

 

“Thank you to everyone for their patience as we dealt with the incident this morning and I would ask to public to refrain from speculating as we continue our investigation.

 

“If you have any information that may assist our enquiries, please call police on 101 quoting 44220251169.

 

“Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers 100 per cent anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

 

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.