Police are now releasing some CCTV footage and still images as part of our investigation into a rape which happened in Fareham
At some time between 1:20am and 2:05am on Saturday 19 March, a 22 year-old woman was raped on the footbridge that crosses over Western Way, close to Fareham train station.
She reported that after she had left the Slug and Lettuce at around 1am she walked along West Street when a man unknown to her approached her. He then threatened and attacked her on the footbridge, close to Fareham train station.
This man is described as:
- Aged between 20s & 40s
- Approximately 5ft 11ins tall
- Slim build
- He had a full beard that was blond / grey in colour
- Medium length hair
Today police are releasing some moving CCTV footage of a man officers want to speak to about the rape. He can be seen in the footage walking past Fareham fire station and towards a small alleyway – he is circled throughout the footage and also features in the square zoomed view.
Officers appreciate the images of this man are not the best quality, but are hoping that someone perhaps recognises him from his build and his walk, or maybe witnesses in the area saw this man.
In addition to the footage, officers have released three still images of four other people, who police believe could be key witnesses, and who officers urgently want to speak with.
These people are:
- A girl, or woman, who is seen sitting in the alleyway smoking, to the far right of the footage. Officers believe she may have seen the suspect for this offence walk past her. The still released shows her a short while later walking away from the alleyway. She is followed by;
- Two men who head towards the fire station from the alleyway. They are pictured side by side in the still image – the one on the right has his arm out. Officers believe they may be known to the girl in the alleyway so may be able to assist in identifying her.
- A man in a coat, shown in the CCTV still image walking past the alleyway. He continues to head towards the fire station and is captured at the beginning of the moving footage heading west past the fire station.
Please see gallery below.
Detective Chief Inspector Roger Wood, from Hampshire Constabulary’s Operation Amberstone team, said: “These four witnesses could hold crucial information, as we believe some of them may have seen the man we are looking to identify and speak with in connection with the rape.
“If you recognise yourself in this footage or in any of the still images, please call us immediately so we can talk to you about what you saw.
“We are also urgently looking to trace the man who is circled in the video footage. If this is you, please make contact with us.
“If you recognise him, or saw him in the area, call police as soon as possible. Were you out that night, and does he look like someone you were out with?
“Our officers continue to work hard to follow every line of enquiry to investigate this incident, and you can expect to see a continued police presence in the area as officers make enquiries and conduct patrols.
“I would still urge anyone who was in the town centre on Saturday 19 March between midnight and 3am, in particular in the train station end of town to please get in touch. Did you someone acting suspiciously? Did you see the man described and pictured walking past the fire station? Were you driving through the area and did you capture anything on Dash Cam?
Anyone with any information should call police on 101 quoting 44220109191 (Operation Formation).
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org