Firefighters scrambled to reports of a fire at Portsmouth flats

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-EQPsjJhOMDBg.jpg

Firefighters scrambled after reports of smoke and flames seen by passer by at a block of flats in Portsmouth

 

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service received the call shortly after 8.30pm, after a passer by raised the alarm after seeing flames and smoke from a balcony of a block of flats in Landport, Portsmouth.

 

The flat situated on the top floor of Darwin House, Landport saw crews from Southsea, Cosham and Portchester deployed. 

 

On arrival fire crews gained access the the block and discovered that the smoke was caused by a barbecue that was being used on the balcony.

 

A stop call came through at 8.47pm and crews returned to their stations.

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.