Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Firefighters use smoke hood to rescue female in Portsmouth kitchen fire

Photo credit HIWFRS 

A woman had to be rescued from her home by firefighters using a smoke hood after kitchen fire


Three fire  were called to Monmouth Road in North End, Portsmouth, at 08.15am today.


The female occupant was led to safety by firefighters who wore breathing apparatus and fitted her with a life saving smoke hood. The hoods contain a breathing filter which gives 15 minutes protection from smoke to the wearer.


Station Commander Lee Sheen said:

“Our crews did a great job in providing reassurance to the female occupant, who was apprehensive about coming out of the house via a ladder against the first floor window, so we used a smoke hood to lead her to safety.

“I also want to highlight the great work of our Control operators who provided fire survival guidance to the lady before the arrival of the first crew.”


Firefighters from Southsea and Cosham used hose reel jets to tackle the kitchen fire and a ventilation fan to clear smoke.


The crews also rescued a cat and a rabbit from the terraced house and carried out community safety activity before the stop message was received at just before 9am.


The cause of the fire will now be investigated.