Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Guests of a popular Southsea summer hotel evacuated after blaze breaks out in laundry room

Guests from a popular summer hotel were evacuated this evening after a fire broke out in the hotel’s laundry room.

The call came in at 4.57 pm stating there was a fire in the laundry room, Hotel staff of the Seacrest Hotel then evacuated guests from the building as firefighters attended and tackled the blaze.

A statement from Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters were called just before 5pm to a fire involving the laundry room of a hotel on South Parade. “Crews from Southsea, Cosham, Portchester, Havant and Fareham were quickly on the scene to tackle the ground-floor blaze.” “Around 30 firefighters were in attendance, with Hampshire Constabulary partners assisting with traffic management.” “The six-floor building was evacuated as HIWFRS tackled the fire using breathing apparatus, jets and hose reels, with ventilation fans in use to clear smoke.” “The fire was contained to the ground-floor with some smoke spreading to other parts of the building.” “Crews were gradually released with Southsea fire engines remaining on the scene until the stop message came in at 19:06.” “One engine will return later in the evening to conduct a re-inspection.” A full fire investigation is now underway.