Newport and Ryde firefighters were called to a fire at a property on the high street in Oakfield.
As crews arrived it was believed there was still a resident inside of the building, from which smoke was issuing.
The kitchen blaze in the ground-floor flat was quickly extinguished, before a search of the flat found that everyone was out of the property.
The fire was caused by decorating materials left on top of the cooker, and was stopped using four sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets before crews isolated the gas and electric within the property.
HIWFRS left the scene at 10:56.