Pedophile jailed for 10 years after being convicted of rape and indecent assault

david-thomas-court-result.png

A man has been jailed for 10 years after he was convicted of rape and indecent assault of a child

 

David Thomas, 77, from Aldershot Road, Fleet, was sentenced at Salisbury Crown Court on Friday 29 April following a week-long trial.

 

He was convicted of rape and indecent assault of a girl aged under 16. Thomas was found not guilty of another count of indecent assault.

 

The offences took place in Farnborough between 1984 and 1988. It was reported to police in 2020.

 

Thomas was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Friday.

 

Detective Constable Michelle Carrig, from Operation Amberstone North, said: “I hope this sentence has provided the victim with some element of closure, knowing that Thomas has been sentenced for a very long time.

 

“Thomas committed harrowing crimes against the victim and I would like to praise her for showing courage by coming forward and contacting the police.

 

“We take incidents like this extremely seriously and I would like to encourage any other victims, or anyone who has been a victim of sexual abuse, or if they know someone who has been impacted by sexual abuse, to contact police on 101.”

 

As a survivor of sexual abuse, you are entitled to support whether you report the crime or not.

 

You can access different types of support depending on how you are feeling and what you decide to do next.

 

You can visit https://www.hampshire.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/rsa/rape-and-sexual-assault/support-for-victims-of-rape-and-sexual-assault/ to see the support on offer.

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.