Predator unmasked: London paedophile who groomed a four‑year‑old child

1000128197

A “monster” who groomed and repeatedly raped a young boy after worming his way into the family’s trust has been handed a 21‑year extended sentence.

London paedophile Matthew Johnston, 49, targeted the child from a very young age after meeting his mother at a comic‑con style event. He used his love of Star Wars and superhero conventions to build up trust before turning to sexual abuse.

1000128158

Predator: London paedophile Matthew Johnston, 49, who groomed and repeatedly abused a young boy after meeting his family at comic‑con events, has been jailed under a 21‑year extended sentence.

Johnston – of Haynes Close, Tottenham, north London – was a regular at these events and exploited them as a way to groom the boy over a number of years. The abuse escalated from apparent friendship and gifts to serious sexual offences behind closed doors.

The offending came to light in December 2024, when the boy bravely disclosed what had been happening and Sussex Police launched an investigation. Specialist officers supported the child and his mother while detectives pieced together the case.

Johnston was arrested and later charged with two counts of rape of a child under 13, along with a string of other child sex offences.

A jury at Hove Crown Court found him guilty of all seven charges, including rape and sexual assault.

At the same court, on Monday 23 March, Judge Roger Chapple ruled that Johnston is a dangerous offender and imposed an extended sentence of 21 years – made up of 16 years in prison and a further five years on extended licence in the community.

This means he will serve a long stretch behind bars and will remain under strict supervision when he is eventually released.The judge said Johnston had abused his position as a trusted family friend, deliberately grooming a very young child and causing lasting psychological harm.

The offences were also aggravated by his previous offences, Johnston had previous five convictions for 11 offences including indecent exposure, sexual assaulting two girls and having indecent photographs of children.

As well as the extended prison sentence, Johnston was given a restraining order and a sexual harm prevention order, and he will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

A Sussex Police spokesperson said: “Officers praised the courage of the victim and his family for coming forward and supporting the investigation, and urged anyone affected by sexual offending to contact police so they can be supported and offenders brought to justice.”

If you have been affected by sexual abuse or any form of sexual offending, you are urged to contact police. You can report online via the Sussex Police website, by calling 101, or by dialling 999 in an emergency.

You may have missed

Body Found In Search For Missing Andover Man Aidan Bentham Police searching for missing 28-year-old Aidan Bentham from Andover have sadly discovered the body of a man. Officers confirmed the discovery was made this morning (24 May) following ongoing efforts to locate Aidan after he was reported missing earlier this week. Formal identification has not yet taken place, however Aidan’s family have been informed of the development. Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary said a file will now be prepared for the coroner. The tragic update comes after police issued an urgent appeal on Friday amid growing concerns for Aidan’s welfare. In the original appeal, officers said Aidan had last been seen at around 4.30pm on Thursday 22 May. Police described him as being around 5ft 9ins tall, of a chubby build, with short dark hair, a fair complexion and clean shaven. At the time of his disappearance, he was believed to have been wearing a light-coloured top and tracksuit bottoms, although officers said he may since have changed clothing. The appeal prompted widespread sharing across social media as police and Aidan’s family appealed to the public for information which could help trace him. Following today’s discovery, Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary thanked members of the public who shared the earlier appeal and assisted with enquiries during the search operation. The force has now requested that the missing person appeal be removed from public channels. No further details have currently been released.