Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Two arrested after a blood bath robbery leads to police chase through Commercial Road Portsmouth

Two people have been arrested after a violent robbery bloodbath prompted police to cordon off a large area of Portsmouth’s city centre.

Officers were scrambled to Alexandra Road, Buckland, at 5.06 am after reports of a massive brawl in a residential street.

When officers arrived on the scene, they discovered a man in his 20s with injuries and a nearby house with its front window smashed and windows covered in blood.

Police attempted to detain the wounded man but he managed to get away and fled the scene, prompting a chase along Lake Road, where officers finaly managed to stop the male.

Paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service treated the blood-soaked man at the side of the road, he was transferred by road to Queen Alexandra Hospital, where he remains.

The man was not arrested and his injuries are ‘not thought to be life-changing or life-threatening’ at this time a spokeswoman for Hampshire police said.

A police official also said that a female officer was assaulted during the drama, receiving minor injuries to her arm.

Officers have now confirmed that two people have been arrested as part of our investigation into this serious violent incident.

A 21-year-old man from Portsmouth has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and Section 18 grievous bodily harm with intent.

A 25-year-old woman from Portsmouth has been arrested on suspicion of wounding/inflicting Grievous Bodily Harm without intent.

They both remain in police custody at this time.

Due to the nature of the altercation which prompted a major police investigation, there has been a police presence in the city centre, with more than a dozen officers being involved.

Police cars and vans blocked up Lake Road and Alexandra Road, with police tape cordoning off a 300ft section of Lake Road, between Alexandra Road and the Lake Road Roundabout.

Nearby residents living close to the incident have since spoken about the shocking incident.

A local resident said: ‘I was woken by the noise. Two people were screaming at the top of their voices. They couldn’t have been much louder if they tried.

They were effing and blinding. But it was all indistinct. I couldn’t make out what they were saying. I had no idea what was going on. Then I heard a window smash.

He then added: I was shocked. I have seen things before in the street but nothing like this.

That said, I do still feel safe living here. The only way I’m leaving this house is in a box.

Another local resident said they were alarmed by the aftermath of the violence.

There was blood everywhere, it was like something from a horror film – it was on the pavement and on the window,

Police have since scaled down the incident and reopened all affected roads, Police remain at the house where a cordon has been placed and police securing the property while a thorough investigation is taking place.

Anyone has any information about the incident is being urged to call police on 101, quoting the reference number 44210335788.