Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Candle blaze destroys bedroom in New Forest home

Hardley firefighters were called shortly after 3am this morning to a fire at a property on Woodland Gardens in Blackfield.


All occupants had evacuated upon arrival of the Hardley crew, who requested further resources to assist in tackling the blaze which had spread from a burning candle.


Crews from Redbridge, Totton and Beaulieu were quickly on the scene to help bring the fire situated in a ground-floor bedroom, under the control.


The bedroom was destroyed in the blaze, which was extinguished using four sets of breathing apparatus, two jets and one hose reel before ventilation fans were utilised to clear smoke.


Firefighters delivered community safety leaflets to neighbouring houses before returning to station at 4:47am.


Candles left unattended can destroy your home in minutes, make sure you keep your family safe from open flames by following our candle safety tips.