Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Firefighters called to massage parlour blaze in Basingstoke shop

An unattended lit tealight had caused a significant fire within a massage parlour on Winchester Road shortly after 1.30 this afternoon


The building had been evacuated but firefighters from Basingstoke, Fleet and Rushmoor arrived to find smoke issuing from the first-floor.


Hampshire Constabulary colleagues were requested to manage the traffic.


The fire was extinguished with firefighters wearing six sets of breathing apparatus using two hose reels and one jet, before clearing the smoke with ventilation fans.


Crews dampened down the scene, with the fire building suffering significant fire and smoke damage.


HIWFRS conducted community safety visits to neighbouring properties before returning to station at 3.23pm.