Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Shell-shocked tortoises rescued from fire after owners alerted by smoke detector

A working smoke detector alerted residents to a fire which had broken out in their tortoise enclosure last night (9 Feb)


The blaze was caused by a heat lamp setting fire to a nearby piece of paper.

The owners rescued Charlie and Lola the tortoises and evacuated to a place of safety.


On-call firefighters from Hartley Wintney and Odiham fire stations were called and used ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property on Creswell in Hook.

Station Manager Rich Oram said:

“Working smoke alarms save lives – due to having them fitted in their home, these residents were alerted to the fire and were able to act quickly, rescuing their beloved pets and evacuating to a place of safety.

“I would urge people to be careful when using a heating device and always follow the manufacturer’s guidance when fitting them.”

The crews provided Immediate Emergency Care to two casualties suffering with smoke inhalation, and were later taken to hospital by paramedics.

HIWFRS delivered leaflets and conducted Safe and Well visits before leaving the scene at 00:43.