Hampshire Incidents

Bringing you breaking news from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

Smoke alarm alerts neighbour to Southampton flat fire

A neighbour dialled 999 after hearing a smoke alarm and reported the smell of burning coming from a city centre flat

Crews from across Southampton were called to a first-floor flat on Clovelly Road shortly after 3am this morning.


One casualty was led to safety by firefighters and treated for smoke inhalation,  before being passed into the care of paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service but wasn’t required to go to hospital.


The fire, which was caused by cooking, was stopped by firefighters in breathing apparatus using hose reels and jets.


HIWFRS conducted a Safe and Well visit following the stop message at 3.40am.


Find out more about smoke alarms and Safe and Well visits on the HIWFRS website safety pages.